[lit-ideas] Re: Next

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:29:55 -0700

On Apr 24, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> David Ritchie, as part of his research on the curious habits of anglophones
> writes
>

>> I'm wondering whether this is like that round we had on salt and pepper
>> shakers. Conventions, conventions. How would "next Monday" be understood
>> in your part of the world?
>

> Said on Sunday, it would mean 'a week from tomorrow.' Said on a Monday, its
> meaning should be clear ('a week from today').

Understood.  But this was received on Saturday.  In my head, particularly since
this student has not until now suggested habitual fondness for long-term
planning, "next Monday" meant "the next Monday" on the calendar.  Now that I've
had my grazing herd of research assistants on the task for the best part of a
working day, I know this question has been discussed elsewhere on the web and
there is little consensus on correct usage.  Maybe we'll have to postpone a
verdict until Friday week?  Or May month?

David Ritchie,
amazed by Chelsea in
Portland,