[lit-ideas] Newton's Apple

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:51:16 EST

>>His apple is still preserved in the British  museum.

Geary:

>I'd have to see it to believe it.

_www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights.aspx_
(http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights.aspx)

Well, yes. Although  it's not clear to me how your _seeing_ it you'll believe
it as Newton's original  apple.

Much ink has been used to debate the issue. John Wallis,  Prof. of Physics at
Oxford, was the first recipient of the apple, to judge by  his Diarie
(Ashmolean Museum):

"And then the aged man, for  hee were allmost very
      aged at the time, said, "Waite  -- I shall have somewhat
      to give thee". Upon his  sayinge this, he proceeded to
      open a frigidarium and  disclosed a pomme or apple,
      in perfect  state."

----- The apple, however, did not remain at the Ashmolean but  was received
by the Royal Society, and they bequeathed it to the nation. Notes  & Queries,
5th series, writes:

        "One refutation  for the skeptical here is that the
        Royall Society  hath recently bequeathed five
        apples as they are  claimed to have been used
        by Sir Isaac in  his experiments with gravitation."

--- These five apples were catalogued as (accession code,  AN1678-a,
AN1678-b, AN1678-c, AN1678-d, and AN1678-e.

The problem is that by the time Princess Alexandra  (Victoria's daughter in
law) wanted to see them they had all of the donations  deteriorated to some
yellowish brown dust.

Cheers,

JL
   BA A