[lit-ideas] Re: Newt take the Pledge

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 18:15:53 -0500

On what basis do I judge Gore and Kerry? Gore is a mediocre
intellect; Kerry is a war hero of no substantial intellectual
attainments. Clinton -- as Hitchens said best -- had Nobody Left to
Lie To.

That Dubya was a doofus is canonical, but we must consider that
Obama is probably the most intelligent (though not intellectual)
Democrat President for a long time, and little good it has done him.

For Republican intellectuals one may have to go back to Teddy
Roosevelt, certainly one of the best Presidents ever, an innovator,
naturalist, author, and champion of both equality and worker's
rights. (First President to get involved in a labor dispute, forcing
the coal barons to make concessions.)

David Ritchie's reply to my post posits a most substantial and
thorough consideration of leadership.

______

On what basis do you make your judgments on these public figures?
Evidence please.  For being a dullard, no one even comes close to G.
Bush.
Christopher Hitchens said it best.  As he said everything best.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI