[lit-ideas] Newsweek

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:09:24 -0400

Just want to mention that I heard a repeat of a Noam Chomsky speech from
February 2004.  He makes a lot of sense, and was very prescient.  I disagreed
on only one thing, which is borders.  On the one hand nation states are
artificial entities the support of which causes a lot of problems, like world
wars, on the other hand, to remove the boundary between the U.S. and Mexico is
to openly invite drug dealers directly into the country.  Already this year
there have been something like 1,500 drug gang related murders in the Laredo,
Texas area alone (Lou Dobbs).  Other than that, Chomsky is brilliant in his
meta-analyses.  This is from the Economist, except they're blaming the victim,
the U.S.:
http://www.economist.com/background/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4131600
Also, the Mexicans are doing zip to improve their own country.  It's wait and
see what Calderone comes up with.  Fox was useless.
From Newsweek, Fareed Zakaria on what to do about Iran:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975333/site/newsweek/?rf=nwnewsletter
and the cover story, the lost war in Afghanistan:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282/site/newsweek/