[lit-ideas] News via the web -- the fake aljazeera

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:32:22 +0100

>Meanwhile, what's the story with the .com version of al Jazeera? Who is
>behind that?

Though it says it's based in London (and though it's worth checking its
front page for current news, which it takes from reputable sources) I
thought it was a right-wing US Christian anti-Israel (and not exactly
pro-Muslim) site. It was a bit difficult to tell, but links gave that
impression
(but they were I think inserted by Google).

Then there's a link -- for no apparent reason -- to

 http://www.pro-american.com/forums/

What this story said about the site I didn't at first know -- it's a
seriously weird piece!

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/world_full_story.asp?service
_id=486

but when I researched the story I found that *this* aljazeera is indeed US,
it seems to be a Muslim anti-Israel site (but I could be being unfair) --
here it is:

http://www.aljazeerah.info/Support%20Al-Jazeerah/Support%20Al-Jazeerah%20Hom
e.htm

That's enough "research" for one day! But I might ring the London offices of
this Aljazeera to see what happens..

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx