[lit-ideas] Re: New Year's Resolutions

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:46:42 -0500

At 12:47 PM 12/31/2005, you wrote:

I don't get it. I post a thing by T.S. Elliot. I segue into it with a reference to my cat. Phil completely disregards Andrew Marvell and Elliot, which is to say, nearly the entire post, focuses on the segue and complains that I'm writing about me. Now you call me Miss Information and telling me I'm scolding. Scolding? I'm wondering too, why couldn't you just post Monty Python without the little intro?

It's "eLiot"...

Irene:

I used the term "Miss Information" firstly, without the pun intended -- the literal parsing -- as someone who always is quick to offer us "the truth" but also retains the staggering ability to offer up misinformation. See, that's how the 'pun' works. {Yes, I'm being deliberately condescending}.The secondary play on words was, I fear now, not appropriately displayed because the signifiee didn't understand the signfied.

I'm fairly sure that Phil already knows about Mr. Eliot's contributions to Broadway - and if you read with any care his posts, you would assume such things too -- and I might add that upon first reading, I also thought that you were talking about your OWN cats -- before you posted the little bit from OPBOPC -- and I'm also well aware of Thom's contributions to Mr. Lloyd-Webber's musical. However, regardless (I suppose you might say irregardless) of whether ANYONE on the list knew the connection to the origin of Eliot's poetry, the WAY that you said it, sounded a bit condescending.

You see, as the bullshit gets deeper and deeper, little inaccuracies amount to HUGE doubts of character of the witness. As the ignorance is displayed on a daily basis, those of us who have given you an extremely wide berth to tread all over with your 'insights' get a little punchy as we roll around with each successive pugilistic post. I just found it funny that in an informational paragraph -- I will still give you the benefit of the doubt that you were JUST informing Phil who Old Possum really was -- you managed to incorrectly name said possum.

As I read your repeated mispeling of the author's name, my mind jumped to the Pythoner's very astute parody and I posted it. So you see, the fact that you don't know WHY I felt the need to precis it with a little jibe of my own is the very problem that I speak to -- you don't know.

PkkS

p.s. I deliberately misspelled "misspelling"

_________________ [insert pithy quote here] Paul Ukke Stone (The not so well known Dutch Author) pkks@xxxxxxxx Rotterdam, Nederlands