[lit-ideas] Re: New Year's Resolutions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:01:51 EST

<<We can talk about my cat."

How nice for your cat.  And  for you, I suppose.  Notice that it is about
your cat that we are to  talk?>>

You could talk about my daughter's cats.....but you'll have to tell me if
you prefer to discuss calicos (Cheyenne and Ciara), fat lazy toms (orange/white

or grey striped, Frisky & Tiger, respectively), the gray kitten rescued  from
the car accident across the street which crushed his paw entirely (Smokey),
or one of the two the black cats (Midnight & Faye)....  (and yes,  "grey" and
"gray" are two different colours)...

or our Sheltie who thinks she's a mountain goat... ("Lucy" -- don't ask)
walking daintily across the back of the couch and leaping in the air w/, I
swear, springs on all four feet....

or the "pet" [sic] mice...(can you sue a pet store for giving you the wrong
info re. mice gender?).... (Camy is the Daddy' mouse's name; I can't recall
what  the daughter calls the Mother mouse, oh yes!  "Despero", and I've been
too afraid to ask if the baby mice are named.  Daughter gave 4 of the baby
mice
away to a couple of her friends -- whose parents likely are no longer
speaking to me -- and absolutely had to spend a couple days at their houses
over
Vacation this week so the mice could have a family reunion)...

or the ferret I have somehow permitted my daughter to talk me into, proving
that the last vestiges of my sanity are gone....

I never saw better reasons for ellipses.

Julie Krueger
facing the prospect of taking the daughters Malling tomorrow for the
post-Christmas specials.  If I never post again, it's because I'm lying
unconscious
underneath a teen-clothes rack somewhere in the Midwest.  With  a ferret on
top of me.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: New Year's
Resolutions  Date: 12/30/05 9:46:14 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Andy' wrote:

"I was asking what it is  people like to talk about."

No.  You were asking what it takes to  have people talk to you.  The
conversation on this list goes on even  though many people don't bother
talking to you.  This may confuse you  but you can check the archives.

'Andy' shares with us:

"I love  my cat.  We can talk about my cat."

How nice for your cat.  And  for you, I suppose.  Notice that it is about
your cat that we are to  talk?

But then again I am talking about you and thereby reinforce the  habit.
For my part, it is enjoyable in a schadenfreude sort of fashion.   'Bad,
Phil, bad!'

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto,  ON