[lit-ideas] Re: New Program in Psychoanalysis and Culture

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:54:12 +0900

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree, and IF used in such a way, your earlier equation to
> 'brainstorming' is very apt. I just think a few other people may not
> have been using it that way; and I still think a person thoughts
> 'wafting' is an awkward metaphor.

What, to you, would be a better one? I my case I recently described a piece
I wrote for TalentZoo as the result of "pawing through the midden of my
memory," an image that wavers for me between dumpster diving and archeology.
Does that work better for you?

Trying to imagine why I might find "wafting" appealing, I suddenly wonder
how much I have been influenced by Japan, where expressions like "the
floating world" are common, one can speak of thoughts as bobbing to the
surface of the mind, and Zen celebrates the evanescence of everything,
thoughts included, that make up the phenomenal world.

Domo arigatou,

John

--
John McCreery