[lit-ideas] Re: New Program in Psychoanalysis and Culture

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:08:06 -0230

Language is surely such that if there is as yet no word for P, but there should
be a word for P, then there eventually will be a word for P.

I guess it follows that any "ideal" natural language would bear all the words we
are fated to come to have as a species. (Excluding certain words uttered by Mike
G, of course.) I think Charles Saunders Pierce may have said something like
that.... even though, to the best of my knowledge, Chuck never met Mike G.

Walter O.