[lit-ideas] Re: New Orleans

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:49:02 -0700

Julie wrote:

<<60,000 people in the Superdome>>

How did it get to be that many? Yesterday they were reporting roughly 10,000..... I heard NPR say they were going to have to evacuate the superdome -- how in the world do you evacuate even 10,000 people?! And to where??

The latest figure I heard (I'm half-listening to CNN right now) is 20,000, with more making their way to what's the only remaining shelter in New Orleans. It was 90º (32º C) today in New Orleans. It's hotter inside the Dome. No toilets. No electricity. There is no drinking water in the city, none.

Eighty-percent of New Orleans is under water. Some areas are not yet accessible even to rescue craft. The mayor would like all 800,000 residents to evacuate the city, although as Julie says, where would they go, and how would they get there? In any case, those who did leave won't be able to return for a very long time.

Flood water is not like water from your bathtub only deeper: it's filled with human waste, dead animals, trees, mud, logs, boards, plastic containers, gasoline, diesel fuel, toxic chemicals, germs—and in this case, poisonous snakes. The city's pumps, which were designed to remove accumulations of rainwater, etc., don't work, of course, and if they're ever functional again they won't be able to cope with such a mass of water.

They're unable, as of now, to repair the breached levies, and the water is still rising.

On the Mississippi Gulf Coast, there is equally terrible destruction.
Many deaths.

Robert Paul
Reed College