[lit-ideas] Re: New EU lexicon on terror

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:44:48 -0700

I have demonstrated several times to people who would rather challenge my
reading habits than respond to the issues I introduce that I have read
widely on the subjects we discuss.  I could probably find some of those past
notes if you don't want to search the archives, that is if you are really
interested; which I doubt.

As to the war West described being the same as the war Osama bin Laden
describes, I fail to see your problem.  If there is a war, then surely both
sides fighting it know it.  That you don't know it was the subject of Bruce
Bawer's While Europe Slept.

One of the books I read recently was Fukuyama's America at the Crossroads.
Fukuyama would share your viewpoint on the subject matter.  I criticized
Fukuyama for accepting the views of Gilles Kepel and Oliver Roy that the
Islamist threat is over-rated.  They too would be in your camp.  I have read
two books by Kepel, albeit not the one Fukuyama references.  I am presently
reading Globalized Islam, the Search for a New Ummah, by Olivier Roy, which
he does reference.

Now that I have demonstrated that my reading includes books that don't
coincide with my own viewpoint, can you say the same?

As to the history of terrorism in the Middle East, I have commented
extensively on that over the years.  The U.S. didn't create terrorism.
Terrorism is a product of an ideology that grew from Wahhabism, Salafism,
the Muslim Brothers, Maududi, Sayyid Qutb and some others who are interested
in asserting a Fundamentalist form of Islam politically and using a new and
revised definition of the Jihad as one of the primary means.

Lawrence