[lit-ideas] Re: Neo-Cantianism

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:02:02 -0400 (EDT)

Home & Cant

---

Cant as Pict.

>we haven't even got to playing with the vowel

Indeed, we have. The 'o' turned to 'u' (Home --> Hume).

O. T. O. H., note that 'cant' is ambiguous:

cant (n.1) Look up cant at Dictionary.com"insincere talk," 1709, earlier it
 was slang for "whining of beggars" (1640s), from the verb in this sense
(1560s),  from Old North French canter (Old French chanter) "to sing, chant,"
from Latin  cantare, frequentative of canere "to sing" (see chant (v.)).
Sense in English  developed after 1680 to mean the jargon of criminals and
vagabonds, thence  applied contemptuously by any sect or school to the
phraseology of its rival.
... Slang is universal, whilst Cant is restricted in usage to certain
classes of the community: thieves, vagrom men, and -- well, their associates.
... Slang boasts a quasi-respectability denied to Cant, though Cant is
frequently more enduring, its use continuing without variation of meaning for
many generations. [John S. Farmer, Forewords to "Musa Pedestris," 1896]
cant  (n.2) Look up cant at Dictionary.com"slope, slant," late 14c.,
Scottish, "edge,  brink," from Old North French cant "corner" (perhaps via
Middle
Low German kante  or Middle Dutch kant), from Vulgar Latin *canthus, from
Latin cantus "iron tire  of a wheel," possibly from a Celtic word meaning "rim
of wheel, edge" (cf. Welsh  cant "bordering of a circle, tire, edge,"
Breton cant "circle"), from PIE  *kam-bo- "corner, bend," from root *kemb- "to
bend, turn, change" (cf. Greek  kanthos "corner of the eye," Russian kutu
"corner").

O. T. O. H., the [male] spouse of a countess, in England, is an  _earl_.

In a message dated 4/27/2013 8:33:12 A.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
[A]s Kant is Scottish may I claim him as  Irish as the Scottish are just
Irish who took a boat trip and didn't come back  (hence Scots Gaelic is a
derivative of Irish Gaelic). [David should be able to  confirm this].

Or not.

In fact, what I think McEvoy needs is disconfirmation from Sellars/Yeatman,
 "1066 and all that", as per ps.
Cheers,

Speranza

Important Note

The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time
inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the
Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It

is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).