[lit-ideas] Re: Negative Polarity

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:45:46 EDT

Thanks to R. Paul for his thoughtful reply on Greek thought on opposites,
negation, etc.

Among other things, he writes:

>sleeping waking comes (waking and sleeping are
>'opposites') --  one cannot learn one of
>them without understanding that it is opposed to  the other.

Mmm. Depends on your perspective. Fish, for example, don't actually 'sleep'
(at least they don't close their eyes). Therefore, I don't think they _have_ a
 concept of _sleeping_. Unless they see an oyster, who is _always_  sleeping?

Cheers,

JL