[lit-ideas] Re: National Symbols

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:00:52 +0900

On 2/3/06, Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John: It's a dangerous world. No, duh, always has
> been.
>

> Eric: You are missing two things here: (1) The
> speed of the danger has increased. Missiles travel
> faster than the Spanish Armada. Saboteurs arrive
> by jet, not by sailing ships as in Marlowe's time.
> (2) The scope of danger has increased. Nuclear
> explosions outclass cannon fire. Anthrax can kill
> more innocents than a bunch of brigands with
> cutlasses.

And this is supposed to justify rank fear-mongering, star chambers,
and pre-emptive aggression? We are become the monsters we fear.

If we lose the war on terror it will be because our enemies know what
they will die for while we will be whimpering in corners and hoping
that Big Brother will save our cowardly asses.

Where are courage, honor, compassion? Let us all welcome Big Brother,
join in the two-minute hate, and wait for the knock at the door.

John
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.