[lit-ideas] Napoleon was normal (Was: Judy Evans' 'ecole normal'

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:08:37 EDT

>From 'ecole normale'?  -- so, to teach norms?

>Judy Evans, Cardiff  .

Oui. And as Palma (of Duke) has recently reminded us, it was revolutionary
(then) as per "revolution francaise".

I knew Judy would like the idea of a French school being 'normal'. Note  that
an OED quote for 'public school boy' (why not 'girl' -- cfr Roeden)  is:

            'public  school boy': Lyceen, gymnast.

-- whatever that means.

If it was all due to Napoleon, I don't see what he had to do with the South
Kensington Normal School of Design, though.

Cheers,

J. L.

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town: