[lit-ideas] Re: Naked Gentlemen

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:20:19 -0400

Phil maintains that, "puns are not funny."

In other words, they are (p)unfunny.

In my opinion, puns are funny, but only infinitesimally funny. Puns are so meagerly laughable that one may not be aware that one is being amused by them. It takes an enormous amount of puns, a Finnegans Wake of puns, to make someone laugh...well not really laugh, more like chuckle for a fleeting moment, snickering almost beneath the level of conscious beguilement. In the metrics of mirth, 10 FWs of puns = 1 Caper; 10 Capers = 1 Gibe; 10 Gibes = 1 Barb; 10 Barbs = 1 Capriole; 10 Caprioles = 1 Gag.

True, I'm splitting hairs here, and that's not funny, albeit more funny than splitting hares. Yet the purpose of these pun-tags was to alert the reader to intended humor in a post, and a symbol of sunlight need not be luminous anymore than a marker of water wet. The raisin d' eater of this consumption was stated by Prof. Ritchie--to let us know when to laugh and when to bristle with offense.