[lit-ideas] NYT Caught in the Act

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:11:25 -0400

Andy: The Times prints out and out misinformation.

Eric: Most infamous of the NYT balderdash, lies, perversions, misinformation, and whoppers is the identity of their lead book reviewer, Michiko Kakutani. After years of Pinocchio-stretching untruths, the perp has confessed.

I A M M I C H I K O K A K U T A N I
BY COLIN McENROE
- - - -
What started as a basically innocent college prank has gotten seriously out of hand, and, at the urging of the small group of people who know the truth, I have decided to come forward and admit it.

I am Michiko Kakutani.

Many people will have a hard time accepting the idea that a basically undistinguished middle-aged white man living in Hartford, Connecticut, is actually the brilliant, acerbic, reclusive, rarely photographed lynx-like New York Times book critic and Pulitzer winner.

But I am.

The recent disclosure that Riley Weston changed her name and adjusted her age from 32 to 19 in order to continue writing and acting in network television persuaded me that America is ready to hear my story.

Also, I'm tired of being the skunk at the American literary garden party. Do you know what it took out of me to grab a whip and a chair, to go into a steel cage and get this whole Toni Morrison tiger under control?

It's not as if I've been able to call in to my regular job at the insurance company and say, "Look, I've been up all night poking holes in the windy, specious, New Age utopian blather of some author you probably never heard of in my capacity as Michiko Kakutani. I'm going to be in a little late."

The whole thing started at Yale in the winter of 1972 when my roommates and I made up the name as an all-purpose coinage.

Rest of the article at: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/1999/01/23michiko.html. Enjoy!