[lit-ideas] Re: NYT

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:43:41 +0000

Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 8:12:00 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

AA> J.E. Some types of exercise do not affect bone mass, others
AA> (load-bearing/impact ones), increase it (this assumes the
AA> requisite calcium intake).

AA> A.A. That was Gina Kolata's point, that exercise doesn't
AA> affect bone mass at all.  Tuft's still says it does, as do nearly
AA> all other sources, including, I think, the U.S. government health
AA> services.  It's a big deal because it means billions of dollars in
AA> health care services for fractures.  You're putting a doubt in my
AA> mind as to whether she meant only upper body weight lifting for
AA> women.

I didn't get that from anything Kolata wrote; women here are told that
load-bearing/impact (weight-bearing/resistance) exercises increase bone mass or
prevent its erosion, it's the conventional medical view (here). Your National
Osteoporosis Foundation recommends them too.

AA> J.E. they aren't doing load-bearing/impact exercise.

AA> A.A. That's the conventional wisdom.  Like I said, read the book and let me
know.

Obviously they could also have lacked Vitamin D

AA> J.E. have you got a cite for the meta-study?

AA> A.A. Only that it appeared in Gina Kolata's book.  I didn't follow up on it.

_Ultimate Fitness_ -- you read it?

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx