[lit-ideas] Re: NYT

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:12:00 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 16, 2004 1:37 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: NYT

Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 2:12:05 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

AA> A.A. I live in New York State in the Hudson Valley.  How would I know the N=
AA> YT stinks if I didn't read it?   Specifically, it stinks in factual content=
AA> , a little thing like that.  If you want an idea of what I'm talking about,=
AA>  see the movie Shattered Glass.  Shattered Glass is about the New Republic,=
AA>  but it applies completely to the NYT over the years, not just the most rec=
AA> ent highly publicized debacle. =20

have you any examples from the NYT (that are not by the writers who were
sacked)?

A.A. Try the book Fools for Scandal about Whitewater for a real eye opener.

AA> s truth.  She also said that a metastudy of exercise vis-a-vis osteoporosis=
AA>  found that exercise has no effect on bone mass, which flies in the face of=
AA>  all current thinking.

J.E. Some types of exercise do not affect bone mass, others
(load-bearing/impact ones), increase it (this assumes the requisite calcium
intake).

A.A. That was Gina Kolata's point, that exercise doesn't affect bone mass at
all.  Tuft's still says it does, as do nearly all other sources, including, I
think, the U.S. government health services.  It's a big deal because it means
billions of dollars in health care services for fractures.  You're putting a
doubt in my mind as to whether she meant only upper body weight lifting for
women.  I don't much think about osteoporosis except that it's all over the
news, like prostate cancer.  Read the book and let me know.

Regarding requisite calcium intake, Vitamin D is all over the news too.  Well,
in my sources, and has been for a while.  It'll be in Reader's Digest and other
mass media sources in 5 or more years unless the government or the vitamin
manufacturers start pushing it.  Vitamin D is actually a hormone, not a
vitamin.  There's a lot of evidence that an inadequate intake is associated
with problems as diverse as prostate and other cancer and multiple sclerosis.
It's postulated that that's why MS is unheard of near the equator and found
less often in the southern U.S., because Vitamin D is created by sunlight on
skin.  We need far more than the current recommended RDA, but don't take my
word for it.  Calcium is biounavailable, i.e., virtually useless, without
Vitamin D.

 That one I found hard to reconcile in light of the =
AA> fact that astronauts are known to return to earth with decreased bone mass,=
AA>  as do bedridden people.

J.E. they aren't doing load-bearing/impact exercise.

A.A. That's the conventional wisdom.  Like I said, read the book and let me
know.

J.E. have you got a cite for the meta-study?

A.A. Only that it appeared in Gina Kolata's book.  I didn't follow up on it.

Andy Amago

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx