[lit-ideas] Re: NY Times.... Mirembe

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:07:08 +0100

Hi Gary: Ordinarily, I would agree with you. However, as you may recall, I
am planning a work of science fiction here (unless Judy finds it's already
been written, that is) and as any aspiring author knows, an
all-sweetness-&-light formula is guaranteed to do nothing but make readers
gag. Tension and conflict generated and lived by blinkered besotted
protagonists and anti-protagonists are much more likely to sell.  So what of
the latest scientific research, featured in the latest trouble-engendering
column of Maureen Dowd so obligingly posted here by Beelzebub I mean Robert
Paul? Frankly, I am appalled. To borrow a metaphor from the automotive world
(...): The evidence clearly shows that until now we have all thought that we
have all been driving around in (or as) the same kind of vehicle. A sturdy
serviceable SUV, say. Everyone paints, decorates, drives their SUV a little
differently and some are older models than others, but basically, we thought
it was the same underlying vehicle for all, men & women. Now it turns that
in fact all this time half of the population has been driving a completely
different sort of car, not an SUV at all. And it's a car we know nothing
about! Is it really a car? Could be perhaps be a scooter? (Nah). Maybe it's
amphibious! Maybe it's really some sort of aircraft! Sure, it has driven all
right all these years on roads and highways built for the SUV, but who knows
what other not-yet-contemplated medium it might be able to maneuver on as
well - and better? And what of gas? Is the gas best for SUV the gas best for
this car? And what of maintenance?? Are SUV spare parts the optimum parts
for this car??? And does the expression "completely human" even make sense,
if each half of the population has a different definition of being human????
And so forth. You see the potential. Happy Wednesday! Mirembe