[lit-ideas] Re: Myths of Iraq by Ralph Peters

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:03:34 -0800 (PST)

That war time reporting is inaccurate is a truism, and
I don't see any need to presume that inevitable
inaccuracies reflect anything else than the difficult
conditions. Why I should hold the information coming
from a soldier and an author of "New Glory: Expanding
America's Global Supremacy." in higher regard than say
BBC reporting is a mystery to me.

The press over here is debating what exactly is the
criteria of civil war and the concencus is that for
the moment it is close but there is still genuine will
for politics. The Finnish press has no agenda that I
can see, as far as we are concerned Iraq is just one
bloody mess among others.

An objective proxy for the situation would be the
refuge flows. I'll believe things are getting better
when substansial number of refugees start to return,
the current trend unfortunately seems the opposite
even if any accurate numbers do not exist.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/03/myths_of_iraq.html