[lit-ideas] Mythopoetics (Passages from Hesiod, Theogonia)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:31:51 EDT

"Celebrate in song (aidoin) first of all the reverend raace of the gods  from
the beginning.

Surely 'song' must include some kind of lyric -- word.

"they bade me SING of the race of the blessed gods"

"let us begin with the Muses .. and their songs".

"These things, then, the Muses sang" (how the World was created).

"persuading (mankind) with gentle words"

"a singer ... chants the glorious deeds of men of old and the blessed  gods".

"Muses, TELL me which of them first came to be"

"But abhorred Strife bare Lying Words"

"And now, sweet-voiced Muses of Olympus, daughters of Zeus, who holds the
aegis, sing..."

Cheers,

JL