[lit-ideas] Re: My father's wound

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:49:49 -0400

>> entangled in altruistic debates -- if the option is narcissistic
self-interest?

Nietzsche would contend that everyone always does exactly what they want
to do, but the will to power is not necessarily narcissistic or cruel,
and finds its best expression in making our life an artistic creation
that embodies our personal excellence. He is very much on Aristotle's
side, I think, only he argues motives more closely.

As for the poem, it was very fine. I wish the author had hinted at some
cause of the wound, but as is, the poem stands on its own feet.

Re self-interest: I've been working on a poem, "The Face of My Father
Dying," off and on for fifteen years now and may never finish it.
Difficult subject.