[lit-ideas] Re: My adverb right or wrong, but right or wrong, my adverb.

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:15:44 EDT

The more you look at *anything* the weirder it becomes.  Or  sounds.  Take
any common word at all and repeat it a dozen times.  It  suddenly sounds like
the most bizarre vocalization that couldn't possibly mean  anything.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========
    Subj: [lit-ideas] My adverb right or wrong, but right or wrong, my
adverb.  Date: 10/11/04 10:15:59 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
>...I don't know whether there's a way of deciding -- or knowing  --when
"wrongly" should be  used.<
--------------------------------------
'Wrongly" is used before  a verb, but 'wrong' is used as a post-noun (or a
post-pronoun) modifier:  'Don't take this wrong,' 'He got the directions
wrong.'
Cp. 'He got the wrong  (adj.)directions.'

He wrongly identified it as an oak.

Eventually  he got it right.

'She did him wrong,' means (I think) She did wrong to  him. 'She did him
wrongly,' suggests whips and chains.

The more you  look at 'wrongly' the weirder it becomes.

Robert Paul
The Mutton  Institute of  Grammatology
digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html