[lit-ideas] Re: My Dinner with Andre

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:05:14 -0600

WD:
My heart is warmed as if by an electric blanket to hear you say this, Eric.

You beat me to it. I loved that film as well. Was blown away by it. Don't know that I could tell you much about the movie today, two men talk interminably about their lives, hell, everybody I know does that. But it blew me away back them. The last time I saw it was in 1986 when I made my 12th grade Speech Class in Covington, TN (about 30 miles north of Memphis) watch it -- it took up 2 classes : ) -- I can only remember how fascinated I was by it. Was it the voyeuristic quality of it? But I usually associate voyeurism with sexual titillation, not the intellectual-emotional-philosophical undressing that goes on in that film. I can't remember the students' reactions -- I'm sure I didn't care what they thought, I was determined to break some moulds -- but I'm willing to bet bunches that theirs was not favorable review, but a few of the kids were very bright, so who knows, maybe I lit a candle or two.

I also saw "Vanya on 42nd Street" -- with Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn. That was '94 or '95. It was amazing too. I am so grateful for any culture that gets sidetracked and ends up in Memphis that I genuflect and kiss the hands of those poor, lost souls.

Back in the 70's there was a series produced by Ely Landau called the American Film Theatre. That was the greatest "artistic" thing cinema has ever done. I saw "Three Sisters", "The Iceman Cometh", "The Homecoming", "A Delicate Balance", "The Maids", "Butley" and "Rhinoceros" starring some of the best actors in the world. It was like dying and going to Broadway.

Does anyone else remember that series? When I try to find something on TV only to have my desire for entertainment turned into suicidal despair, I think of that series and wonder why in God's name with all the incredible literature out there we as a species prefer shit? Where's my gun?

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Dolphin" <dolphinw@xxxxxxxxxx>