[lit-ideas] Re: My Dinner with Andre

  • From: "William Dolphin" <dolphinw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:33:15 -0600

My heart is warmed as if by an electric blanket to hear you say this, Eric.

You are the first of my circle of even attenuated acquaintance who actually
enjoy this odd movie, though I suppose "interesting" is not the same as
"enjoyable".

Personally, I was captivated by it on first viewing as an earnest undergrad.
I so wanted to know people like Andre Gregory myself, and there were none of
that genus on the desolate plains of front range Colorado that I then
inhabited. Or at least insofar as I could find.

I say "Andre Gregory" but he and Wallace Shawn insist neither is playing
himself and promised to switch roles in a remake. Shawn as "Andre" would be
amazing, don't you think? Certainly more comic.

I've forced a few others to watch the film over the years, but it's always
been less satisfying, mostly because I absorbed some of their bewilderment
and boredom, I think.

An interesting note about the movie: I've heard that it was shot in an
unheated space on a cold day; apparently there are moments when you can see
the breath of Gregory and Shawn, though I can't confirm that, since I've not
seen it since learning that.

But tell me, when it's cold in New York, do you use the blanket?

Wm. Dolphin
Memphis

Checked by AVG.
10:04 AM