[lit-ideas] Re: Must the Word be Literate?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:15:58 -0500

It means a culture based on written language. Literacy is the ability to read and write. Not the ability to use language.

best,
Ursula

Andreas Ramos wrote:
So a pre-literate culture would attach more value to words than a literate culture? Doesn't a literate culture, by definition, mean a culture based on language?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>