[lit-ideas] Re: Must the Word be Literate?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:56:11 -0500

I've been to school and I'm a magazine read-uh.

I know you are, Arnold, but what I wonder at is why we don't accept life as dogs seem to: smells bad, smells good. I could be wrong but I'd willing to bet they're not barking over the meaning of good and bad. But we do. In fact, we kill over it as you only too well know. Actually I'm been musing over the Catholic belief in consecration. I was unwittingly raised a Platonist. As early as 5 they were talking essence at me. The essence of bread is changed -- I'm sorry, transubstantiated -- into the essence of God. But where's the beard, the long, white beard? Accidents be damned, it's God, goddamn you, don't you know anything? Alas, my mind never truly left the shadows. But it made a valiant attempt. Like Wordsworth's intimations, I sensed some transcendent being out there calling me -- or as those great philosophers Crosby, Stills and Nash taught: "Spirits are using me, larger voices calling" -- oh yeah. Well, now, I did answer my vocation call, didn't I? -- after all, if there is a God, what else matters, and I knew I had felt the wind of the wing of divinity -- oh, all right then, madness. Ah ha! So that's why we think there are important things!! We're all mad.

Saul
Tarsus

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
So why do we think there are some important things to be talked about?

I've been to school and I'm a magazine read-uh.

Robert Paul,
Hunting the Snark