[lit-ideas] Re: Muslims (plural) disrupt Israeli philharmonic concert for Dutch Queen

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:45:31 +0100 (BST)

First, *a Muslim* disrupted the *concert in Amsterdam*. He was taken away by
police.

Second, yes, your yourjewishnews report is fuller than the BBC news report I
linked to, but in one sense anyway it is less accurate: it says *Muslims*
disrupted the London prom..  But it doesn't identify the protesters, it doesn't
mention that Deborah Fink, whom I mentioned, is Jewish.

I don't know yourjewishworldnews.  I checked the Jewish Chronicle. It seems to
have no story of its own -- ah, I was wrong.

It says, as you'll see, that a soloist, unidentified, has been suspended. It
also says

"Veteran anti-Israel activist Tony Greenstein was among the protesters"

and

"The newly-formed Beethovians for Boycotting Israel group claimed
responsibility for the initial disruption. Its members were led by Deborah
Fink, singing lyrics written by academic Sue Blackwell, referring to "Israel's
occupation, ethnic cleansing and apartheid"."

Deborah Fink is Jewish. Sue Blackwell is not Muslim. Tony Greenstein is Jewish.
 Willem Meijs, who also took part, is not Muslim. Bruce Levy -- also
demonstrating -- isn't, either. The JC's correct, the demonstrators are
anti-Zionists.

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/54319/soloist-suspended-after-israel-rant

Following the jc's information, I find that Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi, who also
took part in the disruption, is a member of Jews for Boycotting Israeli Goods.

I've found no identification of any Muslims.

The JC has a separate link to a Telegraph piece by its editor (the JC's editor)
Stephen Pollard.  At the first page - still in the JC's blog -- demonstrators
are listed

http://www.thejc.com/blogs/stephen-pollard/a-proms-protest-a-whiff-weimar-about-it-telegraph

the Telegraph piece does not mention Muslims

“The British newspaper the Telegraph reported
 that the group Palestine Solidarity Campaign was responsible for the
disturbances.”

The PSC says it was demonstrating outside the concert.  The Telegraph stories
I've seen don't say the PSC organised the protest though Pollard did assume
that. It isn't a Muslim organisation, its patrons are listed here:

http://www.palestinecampaign.org/Index5b.asp?m_id=1&l1_id=2&l2_id=12

It appears the reason protesters weren't arrested (assuming they'd broken the
law: that's unclear) is that the concert's organisers didn't call them in.

I hope this helps...