[lit-ideas] Musa Sapientum -- and other Vegetables ("Green Linnaeus")

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:16:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2004 5:58:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Ohhhh,  okay.  I see I had it all backwards.  Gotcha.
I don't know the Latin for 'peach', but the latin for "banana" is "Musa
Sapientum", the muse of science (or the muse for those in the know).

I wonder if other fruits have such poetic scientific names. Apple, pear,
grape, grapefruit, watermelon. There must -- and I'm sure they are taxidermed
in
some museum of fruit and vegetable, somewhere.

Would be nice to have a checklist of the latin genus/species latin names  for
the most common fruits (and vegetables) around -- to see if I can brush up
my Latin.

Cheers,

JL