[lit-ideas] Re: Muriel Sparks dies

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:09:08 +0200

Here's your poem:

The Conjugation of the Paramecium by Muriel Rukeyser

   This has nothing

   to do with

   propagating

   The species

   is continued

   as so many are

   (among the smaller creatures)

   by fission

   (and this species

   is very small

   the amoeba, the beginning one)

   The paramecium

   achieves, then,

   immortality

   by dividing

   But when

   the paramecium

   desires renewal

   strength another joy

   this is what

   the paramecium does:

   The paramecium

   lies down beside

   another paramecium

   Slowly inexplicably

   the exchange

   takes place

   in which

   some bits

   of the nucleus of each

   are exchanged

   for some bits

   of the nucleus

   of the other

   This is called

   the conjugation of the paramecium.

(from http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15667 )

from a more objective point of view, this should cover the subject; plus, there's also some rudimental speculation about the paremecial desires. Few people would miss anything. google is great.

merry easter

Joerg
Former Westphalian, now Suebian Illiterate

Andy Amago wrote:
I saw some of "The Autobiography of Jean Brodie" as a dramatization on television. I remember thinking she was self-obsessed. She seemed unaware of her students except as reflections of herself. That's how I remember it anyway, and I only saw part of it. Speaking of Muriel, I once read a poem by Muriel Rukyeser about a paramecium (The Conjugation of the Paramecium). My husband and I laughed for weeks about it. It became our running gag for a while until it faded away. I wonder if anybody knows this poem and can tell me what I'm missing in it?