[lit-ideas] Re: Muriel Rukeyser

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:56:18 -0400

Eric -

I confess: I don't remember ever -- in the recent past at least -- having
read Muriel Rukeyser. That's quite a confession from an English major (but
one who never quite got promoted to general.) This was a good choice. Simple
rhythm and rhyme scheme -- like a tap dance, I think -- makes the subject it
covers memorable. I'm not sure why it's so pleasing -- bringing all the
words that rhyme with "yes" in the Western world together -- but Rukeyser
has created here a deceptively simple exploration of the dangers of yes. I
think. Thanks

- Stan