[lit-ideas] "Much brains", "many brains"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:36:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/2004 9:08:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>> Since when, and why, is  'brain' used in  plural?
>Dunno.

Well, the OED says 'brains' started to be used in the plural (i.e.  'brains',
not 'brain') after the sixteenth century. I wondered if this was  related to
some scientific discovery (e.g. that the brain is composed of _two_
hemispheres? -- the right and the left).

>2. Does this apply too  to  another part of the body.
>In the plural?  I don't think  so.

Well, there's 'breast', 'breasts', as per my other e-mail to the list.
Apparently an Indo-European dual, applied literally to females and figurative
lower animals'. In Latin, it was always singular: _pectum_, regardless of
gender (neuter, in fact).

>Could you please justify the use of the plural  of 'brain'  as a form of
praise
>when normal people are supposed to have _one_   brain.

>I don't need to justify the English language.

Is that because you won't -- or you can't? I think 'brains' is actually
_not_ a plural, but (as per my syntactic variations), a 'mass noun', as
'sugar',
or, indeed, 'blood' -- to stick to body.

Interestingly,  a page at

_http://www.expatvillage.com/started/becoming/standard_page_BL.cfm?ObjectId=98
&CFID=1988865&CFTOKEN=75276582_
(http://www.expatvillage.com/started/becoming/standard_page_BL.cfm?ObjectId=98&CFID=1988865&CFTOKEN=75276582)

which gives the English for different 'Argentine cut'(s) of meat

gives

sesos -- as 'brains' (of the cow), as they are eaten -- a derivation from
Latin _sensu_.

Cheers,

JL