[lit-ideas] Re: Mr. Brooks

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:19:56 EST

>Raped?

Wow -- that was a good marine reaction! :-O and :-).

Helm also writes:

>You too readily

and perhaps I did!

----

Anyway, this just to warn you that perhaps you want unmiss the bit you
missed, because perhaps it was my imagination.

Too many films, these couple weekends, and they all look the same --  actors!

Anyway, you're right that the alleged (by me and me only) raper was a
married man. Apparently, he is

_http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183548/_ (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183548/)
Steve Coulter

-- check if you recognise him, as I fail to remember a boring  face.

In any case, if he was a married man, it was like some kind of  figurative
rape, because he was giving sperm to almost a minor (wasn't he her  teacher,
too? That's repugnant! She wasn't even a grad student) and

NOT PROVIDING all the  requirements that a 'wannabe' (to use \
       your expression) dad is  supposed to provide

-- such as board and shelter for the 'kid'. But then perhaps he never knew
he was a would-be father, but then his fault too in not checking  contraception.

In one site I read this reference to the character described as a 'loser'
boyfriend -- aren't we all -- I hate the phrase, 'boy-friend', except as
uttered
 by Julie Andrews in "We have to have THE BOYFRIEND!" (song).

And as you rightly points, this online site also suggests that we are not
given direct evidence of the thing but only the 'rapport' or report of it by
the
 possibly genetically distinctively perverted daughter. You are right that
these  things _do_ get inherited, and this would explain the nightmarish ending
to the  film. Very good.

Cheers,

JL

---Refs:

_http://www.craigerscinemacorner.com/Reviews/mr_brooks.htm_
(http://www.craigerscinemacorner.com/Reviews/mr_brooks.htm)
Earl is faced with another real challenge when his daughter  abruptly returns
home from college because she became pregnant via her loser  boyfriend…or is
she just saying that?

_http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183548/_ (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183548/)
Steve Coulter

products.