[lit-ideas] Re: Mowing

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:26:12 EST

I've thought about that too.  But fencing in 2 acres is an expensive
proposition.

And I imagine my herb garden would be eaten....

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Mowing  Date:
11/21/2006 10:15:00 A.M. Central Standard Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Nov 21, 2006, at 6:53 AM, Andy Amago  wrote:
> As far as the ecology is concerned, I do probably more than most
> people,
> but it's a lost cause.  Simply by not eating meat  I'm saving methane
> (cows
> produce it, among other sources), as  well as saving literally tens of
> thousands of gallons of water that goes  into each pound of meat
> production.

As America's  one-time foremost historian of the lawn--I kid you not; I
gave one talk on  the subject and people sent me stuff for years--I feel
qualified to advise  you and some of the other "holier thans," who think
that Mr. Budding's  machine or a scythe is the only way to cut grass.
Sheep, good folk,  are the answer.

Lest you think I'm merely imagining things, let me assure  you that one
of my occasional tasks is to help an old lady with her  grass-cutting
sheep.  She has a couple of acres and three  Romneys.  The task?  When
she's away, someone has to bring the  sheep in at night, to avoid
coyotes.  Though stupid, sheep do know  enough to realize that in the
barn is where safety lies.  Also  additional food.  You open in the barn
door and in they trot.   Chuck a handful of food in the dish and you're
done.  No ride-on mower,  no push mower, no scythe.

Is this way out in the country?  Not at  all.  Six minutes from
downtown.  But the family have owned the  property a long time.  My
guess is that zoning laws would not currently  permit such a solution in
most places.  Which is a shame, because it's  a good solution.  I once
was considering such a solution for our  garden, which has almost no
lawn but which was overgrown with blackberries  and ivy.  My plan was to
buy or rent small goats.  The drawback to  the plan was that anything in
the rhododendron family kills goats and  they're stupid enough to eat
things that kill them.

David  Ritchie,
Portland,  Oregon