[lit-ideas] Re: Movies without Guns, deliaf@netvision.net.il

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:48:12 -0700

Michael Chase wrote:

Le 16 sept. 05, à 14:27, Eric Yost a écrit :

M.C. Was ist ein Ding?

[Eric's quip snipped.]

Thing, Ding—ils sont la même chose, n'est-ce pas?

Now:

Seriously, though, folks. When R. Paul says "When I say that I don't believe (and surely, on reflection, neither do you) that every noun has as its referent something that subsists by itself as a separate and distinct thing, I'm trying to point out that just because we can talk of knowledge, love, hope, and anger, these are not independently existing 'things,'"

Instead of trying to define the English word 'thing' (which Mike knows perfectly well how to use) I'll suggest that instead of saying what
I did, I might have just said, 'these do not exist independently (of the doings, feelings, and states of affairs which illustrate what we mean by, e.g. 'fairness'). But this won't satisfy Mike, who then wants next to ask what I mean by 'existence.'

Then I don't know what he means, because I don't know what he means by "thing". Is a thing equivalent to an existent? If so, is there only one kind of existence ? I notice R. Paul uses the word "subsist" on at least one occasion : is this different than "exist"? Are non-existent things "things"? If not, why not? What about ideas? Do they exist? Are they things? If not, why not?

I've said a bit about the Mike's first worry, above. 'Is a thing equivalent to an existent?' I don't even know what this question means, so maybe I could be let off trying to answer it. 'Subsist' means a number of things (see Webster) but I'll take it to mean something like 'to continue to exist,' which one can take or leave or dismiss as question-begging. It's usually thought that the items in the list of examples hang around for awhile, even to the extent that love (Love), and not just the word or concept 'love' would be there even if no one were now or ever had been in love (and so with Fairness, Anger, etc.)
This I deny.

If Mike likes, I'll give him the word 'existence,' with the understanding that when I use it, I use it this way: To say that ourang-outangs exist is to say that there are ourang-outangs; to say that ideas exist is to say that there are ideas; and so on. The last quarrelsome question, 'Do [ideas] exist? Are they things? If not, why not?' is just silly. There are ideas. Are they things? Well, do you understand the sentences 'There are, after all, such things as ideas,' and 'Ideas are things which are implanted in us by hypnosis,' or do you only understand them when the word 'things' is removed, as in 'There are ideas'? ('And what sort of thing is an idea?')

When the child says, 'Something frightened me,' does the child have to have an essentialist (or any other) kind of definition of the word 'something' before we understand what he or she is saying? Is this a theory (of meaning, of existence, of reference)? I think you owe me at least a few answers, Mike, and not just some scatter-gun responses. I'd like to hear your own thoughts.

'What is there?'

'Everything.'

Robert Paul
etc.