[lit-ideas] Movies on our Minds

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

I recently learned that movies today aren't called movies in the industry.
They're called franchises.  I always knew  that merchandising was central to
movies, but this is the first time I've heard them called actual franchises.
There's the Spiderman franchise, the Shrek franchise, the Star Wars franchise.
It gives new meaning to the Happy Feet plush penguins and Spiderman beach
towels at Wal-Mart.

  Of course, to hold all that franchised and other junk, we need bigger houses:

  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18806103/

  There's got to be a myth, or at least a moral, in here somewhere.

    BTW, the Happy Feet franchise is awful, as in really really bad.
Personally, I'm tired of reality.  I saw a chick flick Saturday (Just Like
Heaven) that made reality look good, so I got my money's worth.  I also have
the Garfield franchise on my Netflix list.  The one liners are pretty good, I
hope.  I saw the preview to Ratatouille.  As soon as it's out on DVD I'll order
it.  Like with Garfield I'll bet the only good lines are in the preview.  I
have a few serious movies ones coming up too, including a Russian movie
(definitely not a franchise) and some non-franchise comedies.

  Will revert, as they used to say.  Well, some people used to say.  But not
about franchises.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
bargains.