[lit-ideas] Re: Movie Night

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:01:26 -0700 (PDT)

Speaking of Wilder, references to homosexuality, and
good old movies how about Some Like It Hot? First of
all, should you for some weird reason have not seen
the film, do yourself the favour. What never ceases to
amaze me is how perfect it is, the frantic Jazz like
pace executed flawlessly, Monroe's every mesmerizing
move, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in sync like they've
acted all their lives together...

But to get back to the point, Curtis cross-dresses up
as a "Josephine" and Lemmon as "Daphne" to escape the
mob with an all girl-band. The womanizer played by
Curtis learns to respect the fairer sex as espected,
but Daphne is more interesting. That is Jerry (Lemmon)
starts to really enjoy being a chick, especially when
a millionaire (Joe Brown in another brilliant
performance) starts courting her/him. Lemmon almost
steals the whole show with his girlish glee at getting
diamonds and doing tango with "Osgood Fielding III".

What is interesting is how female stereotypes are used
to liberate the men from their roles, Joe (Curtis)
getting all responsible playing the serious big sister
Josephine in contrast with his playboy role while the
nervous and nagging Jerry turns into daft but loveable
little sister Daphne. All set in Florida at 1920's,
ofcourse. So on the one hand we've got a classic
tragedy, characters are bound by, well their character
to meet ruin, but by chancing their character they
escape their fate.

Cheers,
Teemu
Back in business at
Helsinki, Finland

Jazz, the roaring 20s, freedom of life on the road, is
all tied to joys of girlish irresponsibility

http://www.writingclasses.com/InformationPages/index.php/PageID/270

http://mail.yahoo.com