[lit-ideas] Re: More polls

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:44:43 -0800 (PST)

--- JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm voting in the morning.  Or rather, I'm going to
> vote in the  morning but
> may not actually vote until the afternoon.  Missouri
> did not  have an early
> vote option so God only knows what the lines will be
> like.   Then I'm going to
> come home and whimper under my covers.  Someone wake
> me  when it's all over.
>
> When the political pundits say there are 33
> mathematical scenarios that
> would result in 269 Dem electoral votes and 269 Rep
> electoral votes and in that
> case "the party who has the best lawyers will win"
> it's no longer a  democracy.

I recall reading an article about voting someplace in
Africa, Botswana I think, where they lack the
equipment (paper and pens) necessary to vote. So what
they do instead is literally line up behind their
candidate and just count the number of people. Which
got me thinking, you lack (working) equipment and
stand in line anyway, so...

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland