[lit-ideas] Re: More philms & philosophy (especially Matrix)

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:03:10 -0400

>as the wonderful films Sophie=92s Choice or The Sheltering Sky. But The=20=

"The Sheltering Sky"? It's a story of adultery and egotistical sybaritic
endeavours. Wonderful film, but philosophical? What about Bertolucci's
latest "The Dreamers"? Decadent, European, menage a trois, dreaming
pretentious artsy people who discuss movies and indulge their every whim --
must be philosophical right?

I guess we might as well include every film that ever dealt with _A_ choice
that any man or woman makes. Everything is [even if not overtly]
philosophical? Kind of renders the word a bit meaningless.

paul

p.s. I agree that the first Matrix film was very philsophical, and the
second, perhaps while not being actually moreso, is overtly moreso, but the
THIRD one is just a relentless, boring, largely animated, action film that
totally ruins the building blocks of the matrix with a terrible ending to
what was a very promising trilogy.