[lit-ideas] Re: More on Obama's church

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:14 -0700

Robert:  You quote 'There will be a final judgment in which the wicked dead
will be raised and judged according to their works. Whosoever is not found
written in the Book of Life, together with the devil and his angels, the
beast and the false prophet, will be consigned to the everlasting punishment
in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone, which is the second
death.'

What you quote is in the Bible.  The difference between Dispensationalists
(including Pentecostals and Charismatics) is that they interpret passages
such as this literally in all respects, i.e., a literal book and a literal
lake of fire; whereas the traditional church has seen more symbolism.  But
all "orthodox" Christians believe in a final judgment. [Wright, Cone and
Obama probably don't.  I've seen no sign that their sect is orthodox]

Lawrence