[lit-ideas] Re: More on Indonesia Radicalism:

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:14:05 -0300

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"As a matter of fact I discussed all these matters at great length.
You must have evaded my long notes."

Nope.  I think I have read most of what you have written.  Putting a
great deal of time and energy into something is not the same thing as
getting work accomplished.  You write a great deal but very little
work gets done.  I do appreciate your putting me on to a variety of
writers, though.

Lawrence continues:

"And you are evading the point that your vaunted Indonesian moderation
IS NOT HOLDING OUT EFFECTIVELY AGAINST EXTREMISM!   They are losing
ground.

It would take a wiser person, perhaps a god, to know this.  But I
understand why you want it to be true.

I return to my original point that there are many Muslims and
influential Islamic institutions self-identifying as moderate in
explicit opposition to extremism.  Lawrence may close one eye and
stare only in one direction but there is no reason why anyone else
should.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns