[lit-ideas] More on Indonesia Radicalism:

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:08:22 +0000

1.  Three Christian Girls beheaded on their way to a Christian School:
http://jihadwatch.org/archives/008755.php

2.  The Laskar Jihad was formed in Indonesia in 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laskar_Jihad:  The article includes the following:
"Between May 2000 to December 2001 an estimated 10,000 people were killed and
hundreds of thousands had to flee their towns as Laskar Jihad burnt indigenous
Melanesian Churches and communities on Ambon and other Moluccas islands as well
as Christian communities in Sulawesi."  Here is a BBC article written about the
Laskar Jihad in 2000: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/770263.stm .
Here is a Timeasia.com article on Indonesia's "Dirty Little War."

3.  A Time article on "Indonesia's Dirty Little Holy War"
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,187655,00.html  which begins, "It
was a wave of terror, hundreds of men in black-and-white robes and black face
masks storming into one village after another on the island of Sulawesi, firing
their automatic weapons, tossing Molotov cocktails and homemade grenades into
houses and shouting at the terrified residents to get out, to never come back,
and killing anyone who resisted."

4.  An article entitled Bali And Indonesia's Jihad:
http://cryindonesia.rnc.org.au/archives/bali_indo_jihad.htm  Which includes the
statement: 'Moderate' Islam is in danger of being swept into the radical tide,
IF the propaganda from the radical end of town starts to take root and people
perceive the United States and others as being 'anti-muslim'.

5.  Here is symposium on the Indonesian Jihad:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=20728 Engaging in the
symposium are

5.a.  Dr. Rohan Gunaratna, the author of Inside Al Quaeda: Global Network of
Terror.  He is the head of the international Centre of political violence and
Terrorism Research at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies in
Singapore;

5.b.  Badrus Sholeh, the head of the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at
Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University Jakarta;

5.c.  Andrew Cochran, the Founder and Editor of the Counterterrorism Blog.  HE
is Vice President of GAGE, a business consulting and government affairs firm
headquartered in Washington, DC. and advises clients on terrorism and homeland
security, corporate governance, and appropriations issues;

5.d.  Walid Phares, a Professor of Middle East Studies and Senior Fellow with
the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.  He is the author of the new
book Future Jihad: Terrorist Strategies Against America.

5.e.  Jamie Glazov introduced the symposium (January 2, 2006) with these words:
 "Militant Islam is gaining ground in Indonesia, the world's most populous
Muslim nation.  This development is of crisis proportions, since Indonesia
plays a crucial role in guaranteeing security in Asia.  This year's second Bali
terror attack was only the symbol of Islamism's skyrocketing war on the
country.  Indeed, jihadists are intensely concentrating on annihilating any
non-Muslim presence in Indonesia.  The Ulema Council, the highest Islamic
authority, has issued a fatwa condemning religious diversity.  Christian
churches have been closed and a law has been passed discriminating against
non-Muslim schools."

5.f.  The entire symposium is worth reading.

6.  I am not at all opposed to the noble charge of the Light Brigade.  I admire
the stand of the Texans at the Alamo.  The French Foreign Legions Battle of
Camarón brings tears to my eyes.  And I appreciate the attitude of someone who
might say, "Let the Jihadists do their damdest.  They only way they'll get me
to stop teaching is to pry the words from my cold dead mouth."   But to deny
that Jihadist dangers exist in Indonesia, is well . . . being in denial,
wishful thinking, clicking one's heels and pretending one is really in Kansas?

Lawrence Helm