[lit-ideas] Re: More Bloopers from Students and the Morality of It All

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:34:50 -0800

On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

D. Ritchie has J. M. Geary pouring scorn on one of D. Ritchie's (female?) students,

who mispelt 'valour' as 'veleur'.

I wrote a long post, so far uncommented, on the intelligence of the girl, and the bad taste on people -- who were not there -- to pour scorn on a mistake that was possibly due to D. Ritchie pronouncing Buchan aloud (in Scots) and the girl being a native
Oregonian.

Veleur is related to 'lure' and allure (in one reading of allure) -- so the girl was being (perhaps unconsciously) being witty (if not 'gentile').

She wrote "velour," a reference to a kind of material here associated with nineteen seventies exercise outfits and the seats of dining chairs. I thought it was a wonderfully rich error, a typo (of the sort we all commit) that conjured amusing pictures.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon