[lit-ideas] Re: Mop Rumpchuck

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:35:11 -0800

On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:22 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

Privates in the First World War look melodramatic compared to soldiers getting group therapy during and after Vietnam.

I want to add that I have no doubt that soldiers suffered and that I trust the honest reporting of many of them. What's really interesting is the way in which people's minds under extreme stress can conjure symptoms that are likely to be negotiable within the-- well in my thesis I likened it to a monetary system--of medicine; one kind of symptoms from officers, a different kind from other ranks. One set of symptoms in one war, a different set of symptoms in another war.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon