[lit-ideas] Re: Mooreian Paradoxes

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 06:51:26 -0400

In a message dated 5/26/2015 3:09:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Realism turns out to be unavoidably metaphysical and not capable of being
decided by empirical tests or purely logical arguments. For a clearer
understanding of all this, I recommend Popper's "Realism and the Aim of
Science".

Well, H. Sankey seems to argue along those lines in his "Scientific
Realism: An Elaboration and a Defence."

Sankey notes:

"Simply put, scientific realism is the view that the aim of science is
knowledge of the truth about observable and unobservable aspects of a
mind-independent, objective reality."

As opposed to 'realism' simpliciter. Could we describe Moore as a 'realist'
simpliciter?

Sankey goes on:

"Scientific realism is supported by several distinct lines of argument. It
derives from a non-anthropocentric conception of our place in the natural
world, and it is grounded in the epistemology and metaphysics of common
sense."

And so is Moore's position. Is it then realist simpliciter?

"[T[he aim of science is knowledge of the truth about observable and
unobservable aspects of a mind-independent, objective reality."

I would think Eddington, a scientist, would disagree. Philosophers love
Eddington, and while Moore can safely say that he knew that this there was a
hand and there was another; or that he was sitting down (when he was sitting
down), Eddington spoke of TWO TABLES!

While the _aim_ of a scientist may be to achieve "aspects" of a 'mind-' or
as I prefer 'psychologically-') independent (or as I prefer 'free')
reality, I wonder if Eddington (or any garden variety quantum physicist)
succeeds.

Now, what did Moore think about science and his knowledge that there was a
hand, and there was another hand, or his knowledge that he was standing up
(when he was -- against Russell's 'philosophical' doubts about realism)?

Cheers,

Speranza