[lit-ideas] Re: Moonlight Beatles

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:07:41 +0100 (BST)

________________________________
 From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>

>How fun!!>

There is something magical about The Beatles. Just a pennys worth, and like
many of my posts sent with a sense of deja lu, but the "Beatles first L.P" as
Larkin rightly had it, is a v special thing which I discovered v late - last of
their works. A friend of mine, who wanted my advice, tried to set the mood for
a long session by playing "There's A Place", one of the truly magical Beatles'
tracks, and I bought the album essentially to get this. But everything on it is
truly great. That sense of energy and outgoing 'happy-go-lucky' spirit is
pristine there before the touring and studio bickering wore it thin - but I
cannot help hearing the Beatles almost fall about laughing as, with their seamy
experiences of Hamburg etc, they sing the most innocent 'boy-girl' love lyrics
with more than a hint of knowingness and ridiculousness. Not so fresh-faced and
wholesome but in that blues tradition were the hypocrisies and inanities of
mainstream culture towards
 sexual matters are wryly sent-up. It is this use of form and tone that makes
later songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" much more subversive in effect than
the 'plain-as-your-face' approach of The Rolling Stones, since the exhilarating
musical rush tells a different story to apparent tweeness of the title
sentiment.

But then what really shocked me and hit me in the solar plexus was this: