[lit-ideas] Re: Monty Python Upstaged by Reality

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jul 1, 2004 4:21 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Monty Python Upstaged by Reality

I just listened to a thing on the radio about the Royal Marines patrolling
the waterway between Iran and Iraq.

Interviewer: What are they looking for?
Royal Marine: Smugglers.
Interviewer: What is being smuggled?
Royal Marine: Sheep.  There's a lot of sheep smuggling here.  We intercepted
four or five boats last week.

I shall rest more easily now that I know that international sheep smuggling
is being well policed.

No.  I shall stay awake, and I shall paint an allegory of virtue, "Honest
George Washington, demonstrably not smuggling sheep across the Delaware."

A.A.  I wonder if this isn't a creative way to smuggle more than just sheep.  I
heard way back on NPR that one of the ways al Qaeda, and presumably other
groups, but specifically al Qaeda, was smuggling drugs, and whatever else it is
they smuggle, was by packaging it inside jars of honey.  So there might be more
here than sheep, although that would be pretty creative (but people are
creative).  Or it could be that sheep in an agrarian society are as valuable as
cars are here.  It does seem weird that they would have to smuggle them.

BTW, as far as the other thread as to why we arm our future foes, perhaps it's
because we believe in our hearts that guns don't kill people, people kill
people.  If that's true, then what's to worry about who has guns?

Andy Amago

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon