[lit-ideas] Monkeys Can Speak

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:59:17 EDT

"He's in the grip of a vice"

In a message  dated 7/12/2009 5:30:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx  writes:
The following contains a word that is more than ambiguous (in  the
strictly etymological sense) - it has THREE meanings.  By a  stretch of
the imagination, one of them may be perhaps derived from  another.  The
third is definitely distinct.  (Hence I won't  even pretend to ask for
the ONE AND ONLY ONE sense, because of course  there isn't one.) ----

I suggest you have a look googlebooks Studies  in the Way of Words by
Grice, Meaning Revisited. He  considers,

"Quite a loose liver"

-- Surely, Grice notes, "Some would say that is  ambiguous"

"But it's not, 'liver' qua organ of the body and liver as  'person who
lives' have nothing to do with one another"

A trickier  example may be, he writes,

"He is the grip  of a vice"

(He ignored American spelling).

"Surely I may either  mean that Jones, say, is caught in one big instrument
used by Guttenberg to  print, etc", or that Jones is plain vicious".

"The problem here is easily  solved towards my UNIGUITY, Do not multiply
senses beyond necessity" -- 'vice'  is really TWO WORDS: here. So it's hardly
an ambiguous word; there are TWO of  them -- which happen to be pronounced
and be written very similarly -- indeed  'exactly alike'.

"But we are not stupid -- a word for us comes complete  with some thought
in the mind of its user -- that's why we say monkeys cannot  _speak."

Cheers,

JL Speranza
The Zoological  Gardens, Regent's.

Steps!