[lit-ideas] Re: "Money trumps peace"

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:28:23 -0800

Julie wrote, re 'Money trumps peace' that it was a
[d]irect quote from Bush during this morning's press conference,
and commented:

First honest admission I've ever heard from him.

Bush did say this but it was not all he said.

Q: A lot of our allies in Europe do a lot of business with Iran. So I wonder what your thoughts are about how you further tighten the financial pressure on Iran, in particular, if it also means economic pain for a lot of our allies.

BUSH: It's an interesting question. One of the problems, not specifically on this issue, just in general, that--let's put it this way: Money trumps peace, sometimes.

In other words, commercial interests are very powerful interests throughout the world. And part of the issue in convincing people to put sanctions on a specific country is to convince them that it's in the world's interest that they forego their own financial interest.

And that's why sometimes it's tough to get tough economic sanctions on countries, and I'm not making any comment about any particular country, but you touched on a very interesting point.

You know--so, therefore, we're constantly working with nations to convince them that what really matters in the long run is to have the environment so peace can flourish.
--------

While W may, in his heart of hearts, believe that money always does trump peace, it's clear that in this instance he was referring to the difficulty of getting some of our allies in Europe to support sanctions against Iran. For him, this counts as a well-turned phrase.

Robert Paul,
giving folly its due
somewhere south of Reed College